Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service is one of the largest Fire and Rescue Services outside London with more than 1,637 members of staff and 41 fire stations.
We cover an area of approximately 500 square miles and a culturally diverse population of 2.8 million people.
With an international airport serving over 200 destinations, a major motorway network plus over 200 train and tram stations Greater Manchester County presents some of the most operationally varied challenges you will find.
From modern inner-city developments to traditional mill towns, Greater Manchester is made up of ten very different districts - Bolton, Bury, Manchester, Oldham, Rochdale, Salford, Stockport, Tameside, Trafford and Wigan.
Our vision is to make Greater Manchester a safer place by being a modern, community focused and influential Fire and Rescue Service.
We aim to provide the best emergency response we can to our communities - this is our primary function, but our role is much broader than this. We have focused on prevention and protection work over the last decade to try and stop incidents happening in the first place, improving community outcomes in a variety of ways, educating and developing young people and making fire station facilities available and more welcoming to the public.
We have embraced modern technology and procedures to do things quicker, safer, with less people and with less impact on the environment. We have invested in future firefighting equipment and procedures, examples include;
- Ultra-High Pressure Lance on fire appliances
- Thermal scanning cameras
- Layered PPE
- Air Units
The fire service is part of the Greater Manchester Combined Authority (external website). On a day-to-day basis the Executive Board is responsible for overseeing the running of GMFRS.
Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service - Mission, Vision and Values
Chief Fire Officer Dave Russel discusses what the Mission, Vision and Values means for the Service and everyone that works here.
Our Mission is...
Saving lives, protecting communities, working together.
Our Vision is...
A modern, flexible, resilient fire and rescue service.
Our Values are...
- Respect: Supporting, involving and listening to others, showing dignity, consideration and empathy
- Excellence: Striving to develop, to ensure our contributions make our fire and rescue service the best it can be
- Honesty: Committed to creating and maintaining an open and truthful environment, which is fair and consistent
- Inclusive: Removing barriers to participation to promote a truly representative service, using diversity to benefit us all
- Professionalism in our role: Demonstrating a positive attitude and commitment, to deliver a high-quality service and take pride in our role
The Communities We Serve...
We serve all ten boroughs within Greater Manchester. Find more in Your Area.
GMFRS governance (opens in a new tab)
GMFRS documents - including financial statements