Fireworks and explosives

Explosives licensing and storage (including fireworks)

The following guidance and information is important for anyone who wishes to store explosives within the Greater Manchester area. This information is also relevant to anyone who is considering storing and selling fireworks.

Whether you wish to store fireworks or other forms of explosives (airbags/marine flares) you need to understand the current legislation in relation to explosive storage and your responsibilities under explosives licensing.

The explosive regulations guidance applies to anyone who has duties under the safety provisions of the Explosives Regulations 2014, particularly employers and private individuals manufacturing and storing explosives.

Failure to meet these requirements may render anyone storing explosives liable to prosecution.

Explosives Regulations 2014 can be found here.

ER14 is supported by a suite of subsector guidance produced by the Health and Safety Executive. The guidance consists of two main documents;

L150: Guidance on – Safety provisions.

L151: Guidance on - Security provisions.

Storing and selling fireworks safely guidance is here.

Fireworks in retail premises is here.

Organising firework displays is here.

Wholesale storage of fireworks is here.

Pyrotechnic articles in retail and commercial premises is here.

The Health and Safety Executive website provides a list of Frequently Asked Questions relating to the storage of fireworks and provides further information and links to organisations that may provide the information or guidance you are seeking.

Fireworks amnesty

Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service is running a fireworks amnesty with the aim to drive down firework related accidents and keep Greater Manchester safe during the Bonfire period. The amnesty allows members of the public wishing to dispose of fireworks to do so safely by calling 0800 555 815 and the Fire Service will collect and destroy them.

Further information

Latest Topic News

Fireworks and explosives