There has been a significant rise in battery fires across Greater Manchester. In part, this is because of an increase in ownership of e-scooters and e-bikes in the city-region.
Our E-scooter, E-bike and Battery campaign aims to reduce the number of battery fires across Greater Manchester by raising awareness about battery disposal and proper buying, charging and storage of electric bikes and scooters.
The key messages for the campaign are:
- Dispose of batteries safely at recycling and waste centres
- Don't charge them when you're asleep or out of the house
- Follow manufacturers guidance for charging and storing
- Always buy from reputable retailers
- Fit a smoke alarm in the garage or room where you charge e-bike/scooter
- Unplug your charger once it’s finished charging
- Ensure your battery and charger meets UK safety standards and always use the correct charger
- Never cover your charger as this could lead to it overheating or setting on fire
Visit our e-bikes and e-scooters webpage