GMFRS offers Safe and Well visits to Greater Manchester residents who are at increased risk of fire.
A Safe and Well visit is a home visit, delivered by our staff, that supports householders to reduce the risk of fire in their home and escape safely in the event of a fire. Visits can include the provision of fire safety advice and literature, testing and/or fitting smoke detection, and signposting and referring to other organisations if required.
Due to precautions in place to prevent transmission of Covid-19, Safe and Well visits are currently being conducted over the telephone. You can click here to read our full position statement about Safe and Well visits during the pandemic.
Eligibility for a Safe and Well visit
We accept Safe and Well referrals for adults, living in Greater Manchester, who are at increased risk of fire.
People at increased risk of fire are those whose risk of having a fire or being injured or killed in a fire, is increased by one or more of the following; their physical or mental health or social care needs, their lifestyle or daily activities or the physical and social environment in which they live. Examples of risk factors include;
- Clutter or hoarding
- Dementia or memory loss
- History of previous fires
- Mobility issues
- Older age (over 65)
- Sensory Impairment
- Substance misuse
Making a Safe and Well referral
To make a Safe and Well referral to us;
- explain the benefits of a Safe and Well visit to the person you are referring and gain their consent for the referral and
- complete a Safe and Well Partner Referral Form and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org or secure email email@example.com
- or telephone our Contact Centre on freephone 0800 555 815 to request a Safe and Well visit for a person at increased risk of fire.
Self-referrals are accepted. To self-refer, householders should;
- telephone our Contact Centre on FREEPHONE 0800 555 815 to request a Safe and Well visit
- or complete a Safe and Well Self-Referral Form and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org
Unfortunately, if we receive Safe and Well referrals for people who do not meet the criteria, they will be directed to our website.
So please help us by directing anyone who does not meet the eligibility criteria to the home fire safety information on our website (link) or by providing them with fire safety literature.