Advice for landlords

Does fire safety law apply to me?

If you are a landlord who is responsible for any residential accommodation with communal areas e.g. an HMO or apartment building then the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 fully applies to you (see ‘The Law’).

If you are responsible for a flat above a commercial property such as a shop or take away, then you must ensure that anyone living in the flat can escape safely.

Where can I get advice?

Here you can find specific fire safety guidance in relation to housing and for purpose built flats.

You may still need some expert advice – see ‘Who can Help Me?’ under the fire safety law section of this website.

You can get more information on your responsibilities as a landlord from your Local Housing Authority.

Do I need to fit smoke alarms?

Since October 2015, in addition to the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005, new regulations require all landlords to ensure they:

  • Fit at least one smoke alarm on each floor
  • Fit a carbon monoxide alarm in all rooms containing a solid fuel appliance
  • Check that all alarms are working when a new tenancy starts

Government guidance on the 2015 regulations can be found here.